Sailing at BYC
Britannia Yacht Club offers a range of programs that cater to the full range of sailing interests, abilities and age groups.
Most boat owners prefer pleasure sailing and cruising along the 45 km of Ottawa River directly accesssible from the club.
For those who like the challenges and camaraderie of racing keel boats, dinghies or sailboards, BYC holds weeknight and weekend racing throughout the sailing season.
BYC offers its nationally acclaimed Junior Club Learn to Sail program for children and teenagers from June through August. Adult learn to sail programs are offered in partnership with Advantage Boating (formerly Ottawa Sailing School) on both keel boats and dinghies.
For those who want to sail but do not own a boat, there are opportunities through our Crew Bank or Advantage Boating's Sail Share program.
Latest News... (Upated Sunday June 24, 2018)
Racing is underway! Come join the fun!
2018 BYC Sailing Instructions have been ammended as of June 23, 2018.
The Easter Seals Bring on the Bay Swim 2018 - Nepean Sailing Club & Britannia Yacht Club are again hosting the Bring on the Bay Swim 2018 on Saturday July 14th @8am. We anticipate about 700 swimmers plus the usual cast of volunteers including two Ottawa Fire Rescue boats, 40+ kayaks, SUPs, canoes, and 6 crash boats with 30 plus anchored keelboats/safety islands along the 3000m route across the Ottawa River & into BYC. See The Easter Seals Bring on the Bay Swim 2018 and call for volunteers article for more details.
Please see the BYC Racing Schedule for a complete list of race dates.
We offer racing programs for keelboats, dinghies and sailboards. Several options are available in what is the most popular activity at the club. Some races are run in conjunction with other clubs on the lake.
- Monday evenings:Ladies' keelboat racing
- Tuesday evenings: Keelboat racing under the PHRF handicap system
- Wednesday afternoons:RUST Cup Series (FUN, all registered boats)
- Wednesday evenings: Dinghies and sailboards
- Thursday evenings: Small keelboat one-design racing (Tanzer 22s, Mirage 24s, Sharks, C&C 27s, Viper 640s/J-80s) and JAM racing.
- Friday evenings:Keelboat race practice (All keelboats, May 25, June 8 & June 22)
- Weekends: Throughout the season BYC hosts several long-distance races, including two 50 mile races and one 100 mile race. More information is available for the specific BYC hosted and ILD events:
- Shorey Race - Cancelled
- Spring 50 Mile Race - SSI
- BYC Pinhey’s Point Race (ILD) - BYC SIs
- NSC Pinhey’s Point Race (ILD) - BYC SIs
- Quyon Race - BYC SIs
- Homeward Bound Race - BYC SIs
- Mohr Island Race - BYC SIs
- Queen’s Park Series Race #1 (ILD) - BYC SIs
- Baskin’s Odd Couple Race (FUN)
- Stony Point Race (ILD) - BYC SIs
- Women’s Open Up-River Race
- BYC/NSC Singlehanded Keelboat Race
- Queen’s Park Series Race #2 (ILD) - BYC SIs
- Armitage Race - BYC SIs
- 100 Mile Race
- Queen’s Park Series Race #3 (ILD) - BYC SIs
- 20 Mile Trophy Race (ILD) - BYC SIs
- Fall 50 Mile Race
- Frostbite Race (FUN)
BYC enjoys an international reputation for running high-quality regattas. Our members include qualified regatta organizers, race committee experts, judges and social conveners. Each year we host the National Capital Regatta, now in its 50th year. Last year more than 200 boats competed. We are also represented at many out of town events.
- 2018 Bob Yuile Memorial 61st National Capital Regatta
- 2018 Laser Masters Inland Championships
- C&C 27 Regatta (Ontario Championships)
- Britannia CUP Challenge
- BYC Tucker-Rodger Regatta (FUN)
- Don Hewitt Memorial Regatta (Jrs.)
- BYC 2017 Club Championship
- Stan Carson Memorial Regatta (FUN)
- BYC Sailboard Open Regatta
- Remembrance Day Regatta (FUN)
BYC coordinates a number of social, fun and informational events throughout the year that include a cruising or racing component. Our 2018 events include:
- BYC Spring Boat Owner's and Sailor's Meeting
- Sea Safety Course
- BYC Commodore's Sailpast - SSI
- Get out on the Water
- Canada Day Cup & Saucer and Jefferson Pursuit Race (FUN)
- BYC Summer Sailors' Meeting
- BYC Cruise Week
- BYC Baskin's Weekend
- BYC Baskin's Weekend/Cornboil
- BYC Fall Sailor's Meeting
- BYC Presentation Dinner
For more general information on sailing the Ottawa River, please visit the Ottawa River Sailing Page