Sailing at BYC
Britannia Yacht Club offers a range of programs that cater to the full range of sailing interests, abilities and age groups.
Most boat owners prefer pleasure sailing and cruising along the 45 km of Ottawa River directly accesssible from the club.
For those who like the challenges and camaraderie of racing keel boats, dinghies or sailboards, BYC holds weeknight and weekend racing throughout the sailing season.
BYC offers its nationally acclaimed Junior Club Learn to Sail program for children and teenagers from June through August. Adult learn to sail programs are offered in partnership with Advantage Boating (formerly Ottawa Sailing School) on both keel boats and dinghies.
For those who want to sail but do not own a boat, there are opportunities through our Crew Bank or Advantage Boating's Sail Share program.
Latest News and Reminders... (3 updates as of September 16, 2020)
Women’s Upriver Race, Saturday September 13, 2020 - 1400h - CANCELLED. - New September 16, 2020
Interclub Long Distance Time Trials (ILD-TT) are being introduced to replace the ILD races until further notice! - updated September 14, 2020
You still have to be registered for racing to compete in the ILD-TTs. Boats are still responsible to follow Provincial and Municipal laws, regulations and guidelines in social distancing and maintaining household/social circles with your crew while participating. Look here for new Time Trial Instructions for each corresponding Time Trial.
NSC Pinheys Point - Sunday July 12, 2020 - start window as per Time Trial Instructions
C&C 27 Regatta (Ontario Championship) IS CANCELLED due to COVID (originally scheduled Septeber 20, 2020). - Updated September 14, 2020
Important update from Fleet Captain August 24, 2020 10:00pm ET - The Tuesday and Thursday racing options have changed due to COVID-19. The Sailing Instructions (SIs) have been updated and posted. Racing starts Tuesday August 25 for a 6 week Fall Series! Welcome back to "almost" normal racing. If you have already registered, you will have received an email with your Fleet assignment. Assignments are not our normal classes / divisions, which are also generally outlined in the SIs. Please read all of the SIs for the nights you are registered to race as much has changed.
RUST races are being held as separate weekly events to replace the the RUST racing series until further notice! Races will be under RUST modified SIs with rabbit or pursuit style starts. Come join the fun! - updated August 3, 2020
You still have to be registered for racing to compete. Boats are still responsible to follow Provincial and Municipal laws, regulations and guidelines in social distancing and maintaining household/social circles with your crew while participating. Event organizers reserve the right to split the fleet into smaller groups with different start times on course.
Interclub Women's Monday Evening Time Trials are being introduced to replace the Interclub Monday evening races until further notice! - updated July 17, 2020
On Monday evenings, starting July 20th, all divisions of the Women's fleet can sail against the clock in a handicapped time trial format. This replaces our normal Interclub keelboat racing on Monday's until further notice. You still have to be registered for racing to compete in any of the time trials. Boats are still responsible to follow Provincial and Municipal laws, regulations and guidelines in social distancing and maintaining household/social circles with your crew while participating. NSC will be hosting. Time Trial Instructions and amendments can be found here.
2020 Online Race Registration Open - Racing has been postponed until further notice but you still need to register for racing to participate in Monday and Thursday Evening TT, ILD-TT and RUST.
Open Women's Racing Meeting - Postponed until further notice (originally scheduled May 4, 2020)
Interclub Racing (Weeknight and Weekend) - Start date to be determined, andhas been replaced by the time trial format.
Women in Wind - Postponed until 2021.
Please see the BYC 2020 Racing Schedule for a complete list of race dates.
We offer racing programs for keelboats, dinghies and sailboards. Several options are available in what is the most popular activity at the club. Some races are run in conjunction with other clubs on the lake.
- Monday evenings: Ladies' keelboat racing
- Tuesday evenings: Keelboat racing under the PHRF handicap system
- Wednesday afternoons: RUST Cup Series (FUN, all registered boats- see RUST)
- Wednesday evenings: Dinghies and sailboards
- Thursday evenings: Small keelboat one-design racing (Tanzer 22s, Mirage 24s, Sharks, C&C 27s, Viper 640s/J-80s) and JAM racing.
- Friday evenings: Keelboat race practice (All keelboats: dates to be announced)
- Weekends: Throughout the season BYC hosts several long-distance races, including two 50 mile races and one 100 mile race. More information is available for the specific BYC hosted and ILD events:
- Shorey Race - SSI
- Spring 50 Mile Race - SSI
- BYC Pinhey’s Point Race (ILD) - BYC SIs
- NSC Pinhey’s Point Race (ILD) - BYC SIs
- Quyon Race - BYC SIs
- Homeward Bound Race - BYC SIs
- Mohr Island Race - BYC SIs
- Queen’s Park Series Race #1 (ILD) - BYC SIs
- Baskin’s Odd Couple Race (FUN)
- Stony Point Race (ILD) - BYC SIs
- Women’s Interclub Up-River Race (NOR) - BYC SIs
- BYC/NSC Singlehanded Keelboat Race
- Queen’s Park Series Race #2 (ILD) - BYC SIs
- Armitage Race - BYC SIs
- 100 Mile Race - NOR & SSIs
- Queen’s Park Series Race #3 (ILD) - BYC SIs
- 20 Mile Trophy Race (ILD) - BYC SIs
- Fall 50 Mile Race - NOR & SSIs BYC SIs
- Frostbite Race (FUN)
BYC enjoys an international reputation for running high-quality regattas. Our members include qualified regatta organizers, race committee experts, judges and social conveners. Each year we host the National Capital Regatta, now in its 50th year. Last year more than 200 boats competed. We are also represented at many out of town events.
- 2020 Bob Yuile Memorial 63rd National Capital Regatta
- 2020 Canadian Inland Laser Masters
- 2020 C&C 27 Regatta (Ontario Championships) (NOR, SIs)
- Britannia CUP Challenge
- BYC Tucker-Rodger Regatta (FUN)
- Don Hewitt Memorial Regatta (Jrs.)
- BYC 2019 Club Championship
- BYC 2020 Club Championship
- Stan Carson Memorial Regatta (FUN)
- BYC Sailboard Open Regatta
- Remembrance Day Regatta (FUN)
BYC coordinates a number of social, fun and informational events throughout the year that include a cruising or racing component. Our 2019 events include:
- BYC Spring Boat Owner's and Sailor's Meeting (postponed, new date TBD) - NEW
- BYC Women's Racing Meeting - (postponed, new date TBD) - NEW
- BYC Commodore's Sailpast
- Get out on the Water
- Canada Day Cup & Saucer and Jefferson Pursuit Race (FUN)
- BYC Summer Sailors' Meeting
- BYC Cruise Week
- BYC Baskin's Weekend
- BYC Baskin's Weekend/Cornboil
- BYC Fall Sailor's Meeting
- BYC Presentation Dinner
For more general information on sailing the Ottawa River, please visit the Ottawa River Sailing Page