Sailing at BYC
Britannia Yacht Club offers a range of programs that cater to the full range of sailing interests, abilities and age groups.
Most boat owners prefer pleasure sailing and cruising along the 45 km of Ottawa River directly accesssible from the club.
For those who like the challenges and camaraderie of racing keel boats, dinghies or sailboards, BYC holds weeknight and weekend racing throughout the sailing season.
BYC offers its nationally acclaimed Junior Club Learn to Sail program for children and teenagers from June through August. Adult learn to sail programs are offered in partnership with Advantage Boating (formerly Ottawa Sailing School) on both keel boats and dinghies.
For those who want to sail but do not own a boat, there are opportunities through our Crew Bank or Advantage Boating's Sail Share program.
Latest News and Reminders... (3 updates as of July 8, 2020)
NEW - Interclub Long Distance Time Trials (ILD-TT) are being introduced to replace the ILD races until further notice! - NEW July 8 and updated July 9, 2020
You still have to be registered for racing to compete in the ILD-TTs. Boats are still responsible to follow Provincial and Maniciple laws, regulations and guidelines in social distancing and maintianing household/social circles with your crew while participating. Look here for new Time Trial Instructions for each corisponding Time Trial.
TT #1: NSC Pinhey's Point - Sunday July 12, 2020 - start window as per Time Trial Instructions (TTS)
TT #2: BYC Qeen's Park Series TT #1 - Sunday July 19, 2020 - start window to be announced
TT #3: NSC Stony Point TT - Sunday August 9, 2020 - start window to be announced
TT #4: BYC Qeen's Park Series TT #2 - Sunday August 30, 2020 - start window to be announced
TT #5: BYC Qeen's Park Series TT #3 - Sunday September 20, 2020 - start window to be announced
TT #6: NSC 20 Mile Trophy TT #3 - Sunday September 27, 2020 - start window to be announced
NEW - RUST Time Trials (RUST TT) are being officially started to replace the the RUST racing series until futher notice! - NEW July 8 and updated July 9, 2020
You still have to be registered for racing to compete in the ILD-TTs. Boats are still responsible to follow Provincial and Maniciple laws, regulations and guidelines in social distancing and maintianing household/social circles with your crew while participating.
NEW - Summer Sailors Meeting - postponed until Thursday July 16, 2020 - 7:00pm ET and will be held virtually - NEW July 8, 2020
Details to follow on how to join and the agenda. NOTE: No facilities will be provided to attend at the club. You will only be able to attend virtually by telephone and/or webinar.
2020 Online Race Registration Open - Racing has been postponed until further notice but you still need to register for racing to participate in ILD-TT and RUST TT - New July 8, 2020
Open Women's Racing Meeting - Postponed until further notice (originally scheduled May 4, 2020) - New May 3, 2020
Interclub Racing (Weeknight and Weekend) - Start date to be determined, - New May 3, 2020
Spring Spring Sailors Meeting - Formally Cancelled Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, we have cancelled the Spring Sailors Meeting but will procede with the Summer Sailors Meeting at a deffered date.
Women in Wind - Postponed until 2021.
Please see the DRAFT BYC 2020 Racing Schedule for a complete list of race dates.
We offer racing programs for keelboats, dinghies and sailboards. Several options are available in what is the most popular activity at the club. Some races are run in conjunction with other clubs on the lake.
- Monday evenings: Ladies' keelboat racing
- Tuesday evenings: Keelboat racing under the PHRF handicap system
- Wednesday afternoons: RUST Cup Series (FUN, all registered boats- see RUST)
- Wednesday evenings: Dinghies and sailboards
- Thursday evenings: Small keelboat one-design racing (Tanzer 22s, Mirage 24s, Sharks, C&C 27s, Viper 640s/J-80s) and JAM racing.
- Friday evenings: Keelboat race practice (All keelboats: dates to be announced)
- Weekends: Throughout the season BYC hosts several long-distance races, including two 50 mile races and one 100 mile race. More information is available for the specific BYC hosted and ILD events:
- Shorey Race - SSI
- Spring 50 Mile Race - SSI
- BYC Pinhey’s Point Race (ILD) - BYC SIs
- NSC Pinhey’s Point Race (ILD) - BYC SIs
- Quyon Race - BYC SIs
- Homeward Bound Race - BYC SIs
- Mohr Island Race - BYC SIs
- Queen’s Park Series Race #1 (ILD) - BYC SIs
- Baskin’s Odd Couple Race (FUN)
- Stony Point Race (ILD) - BYC SIs
- Women’s Interclub Up-River Race (NOR) - BYC SIs
- BYC/NSC Singlehanded Keelboat Race
- Queen’s Park Series Race #2 (ILD) - BYC SIs
- Armitage Race - BYC SIs
- 100 Mile Race - NOR & SSIs
- Queen’s Park Series Race #3 (ILD) - BYC SIs
- 20 Mile Trophy Race (ILD) - BYC SIs
- Fall 50 Mile Race - NOR & SSIs BYC SIs
- Frostbite Race (FUN)
BYC enjoys an international reputation for running high-quality regattas. Our members include qualified regatta organizers, race committee experts, judges and social conveners. Each year we host the National Capital Regatta, now in its 50th year. Last year more than 200 boats competed. We are also represented at many out of town events.
- 2020 Bob Yuile Memorial 63rd National Capital Regatta
- 2020 Canadian Inland Laser Masters
- 2020 C&C 27 Regatta (Ontario Championships) (NOR, SIs)
- Britannia CUP Challenge
- BYC Tucker-Rodger Regatta (FUN)
- Don Hewitt Memorial Regatta (Jrs.)
- BYC 2019 Club Championship
- BYC 2020 Club Championship
- Stan Carson Memorial Regatta (FUN)
- BYC Sailboard Open Regatta
- Remembrance Day Regatta (FUN)
BYC coordinates a number of social, fun and informational events throughout the year that include a cruising or racing component. Our 2019 events include:
- BYC Spring Boat Owner's and Sailor's Meeting (postponed, new date TBD) - NEW
- BYC Women's Racing Meeting - (postponed, new date TBD) - NEW
- BYC Commodore's Sailpast
- Get out on the Water
- Canada Day Cup & Saucer and Jefferson Pursuit Race (FUN)
- BYC Summer Sailors' Meeting
- BYC Cruise Week
- BYC Baskin's Weekend
- BYC Baskin's Weekend/Cornboil
- BYC Fall Sailor's Meeting
- BYC Presentation Dinner
For more general information on sailing the Ottawa River, please visit the Ottawa River Sailing Page