Britannia Yacht Club offers a range of programs that cater to the full range of sailing interests, abilities and age groups.
Most boat owners prefer pleasure sailing and cruising along the 45 km of Ottawa River directly accesssible from the club.
For those who like the challenges and camaraderie of racing keel boats, dinghies or sailboards, BYC holds weeknight and weekend racing throughout the sailing season.
BYC offers its nationally acclaimed Junior Club Learn to Sail program for children and teenagers from June through August. Adult learn to sail programs are offered in partnership with Advantage Boating (formerly Ottawa Sailing School) on both keel boats and dinghies.
For those who want to sail but do not own a boat, there are opportunities through our Crew Bank or Advantage Boating's Sail Share program.
Racing at BYC
Please see the BYC Racing Calendar for a complete list of races.
We offer racing programs for keelboats, dinghies and sailboards. Several options are available in what is the most popular activity at the club. Some races are run in conjunction with other clubs on the lake.
- Monday evenings: Ladies' keelboat racing
- Tuesday evenings: Keelboat racing under the PHRF handicap system
- Wednesday evenings: Dinghies and sailboards
- Thursday evenings: Small keelboat one-design racing (Tanzer 22s, Mirage 24s, Sharks, C&C 27s) and JAM racing.
- Weekends: Throughout the season BYC hosts several long-distance races, including two 50 mile races and one 100 mile race.
BYC enjoys an international reputation for running high-quality regattas. Our members include qualified regatta organizers, race committee experts, judges and social conveners. Each year we host the National Capital Regatta, now in its 50th year. Last year more than 200 boats competed. We are also represented at many out of town events.
For more information on sailing the Ottawa River, Please visit the Ottawa River Sailing Page