Dear BYC Members,
It has been about a month since my last update and I hope that this message still finds you and your family healthy and safe.
A lot has changed and I expect most of you who own boats will have taken advantage of our ability to book a visit and start prepping for the season. After some clarifications, our access to boats was quickly followed by yet another announcement effectively allowing recreational boating to commence and we still had the gates in!
Please keep in mind:
- Britannia Yacht Club will continue to follow the guidelines provided by Ottawa Public Health, the Province and the Public Health Agency of Canada.
- The Club House will remain closed until Ontario provides the legal opportunity and we have prepared to open following the workplace safety guidelines.
- There is no access to washroom facilities at this time.
- Access to the club grounds is for the purpose of maintaining or using your launched vessel in accordance with provincial laws, the club’s rules, harbour operating hours and designated areas.
- Access to your vessel on-the-hard will still be by appointment only to ensure we can maintain fair but controlled safe access to congested yard areas.
- There must be no social events, parties, no celebrations, nor after sailing drinks or food sharing on club grounds.
Also, please note that we are still not allowed to organize any on the water or off the water events of more than five people and should still be observing social distancing even when on our boats on the river. Sadly, this means any organized racing of any type (fun, inter-club, long-distance), unless it is organized by a recognized Ontario sports organization such as Ontario Sailing.
The club continues to meet with other clubs on the river and work with Ontario Sailing to lobby for reasonable access to our sport. Until then, we will continue to do our part to help stop the spread of COVID-19 by being a responsible organization to our members, staff and community.
- Our regularly scheduled Spring Sailors Meeting is still postponed until further notice. We are looking to hold a virtual meeting in the coming (next) month when we have a bit more of what we can do with organized events this season.
- We continue to discuss a fair approach, principles and position to starting the racing season (once permitted). We have engaged with the other clubs on the lake to discuss and formulate a joint plan.
- We are also looking at more ways we as club members, boaters and racers could keep in contact and engaged, including: seminars, social media and virtual racing. Keep an eye out for information on our website home page and in the Sailing section.
Thank you for your continued support. We are all looking for ways to get out on the water and using our club facilities as soon as possible, but sadly this takes time and energy. We rarely have an idea of the governments next steps until 24 hours before it happens and we then usually have to readjust based on a plethora of new information. Rest assured, we are trying to have everything lined up so that, as soon as we are permitted, we can get your on-the-water season as fast as possible while ensuring our staff and other members safety are also maintained.
Stay safe and healthy,
Britannia Yacht Club